“Christmas“, Vintage Postcard
1. Christmas belongs to the world. Millions observe Christmas. Everyone likes a “good time”
2. Many miss the real Christmas. Christmas was meant to change the world. No one has the real Christmas unless he experiences the change that Christ came to bring and Christmas means a “good time.”
3. “Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift.” On the first Christmas God gave us a Christmas present. To us this present remains forever “unspeakable.” Our gifts have their value, but they are trifles compared with God’s Christmas present for us. This gift is marked “From God to You, whoever You may be.” I’ll accept the gift.
4. The Christmas angel said, “I bring you good tidings of great joy which shall be unto all people, for unto you is born this day in the city of David a savior, which is Christ the Lord.” The joys of earth are not called “great” by the angel. The real Christmas joy is. Have I this joy? If not, I want it.
5. “To all people.” It is evident that not all people have it. “Wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth unto destruction, and many are they that enter in there at.” Yet the Christmas joy is offered to all people, Americans, Germans, Japanese, Negroes, South Sea Islanders, and — “All people”, and I am one.
6. “Unto you is born this day.” So Christ was born unto us, for me. He is yours and mine as much as He is anyone’s, as much as He is Paul’s.
7. “A Savior, which is Christ the Lord.” A baby then but a Son of God, able to save to the uttermost those who draw near unto God through Him. I want to be saved to the “uttermost.”
Image above retrieved from:
Image Title: Christmas. Item Physical Description: 1 postcard : col., embossed ; 9.2 x 14.1 cm. Source: Holiday postcards / Christmas — Religious. Source Description: 21 postcards : col. ; 9 x 14 cm. Location: Mid-Manhattan Library / Picture Collection. Catalog Call Number: PC POC – Christmas – Religious. Digital ID: 1588618. Record ID: 1065513. Digital Item Published: 8-8-2007; updated 5-15-2012